The children of members of Sovereign King Church are considered members of Sovereign King Church and we value having them in worship right alongside the rest of the church. But children are considered non-communicate until they have been received to the table by the elders.
The Lord’s Supper is different than baptism. While there is some disagreement upon the time and mode of baptism within our church, we agree that the Lord’s Supper is a different sacrament then baptism with its own requirement, benefits, and judgements. The Lord’s Supper is a covenant meal designed by Christ to renew and strengthen our faith. Therefore, there are certain requirements for coming to the table:
1. The party coming to the table must be a Baptized member of the church in good standing. This is the communion meal of the members of the Church (1 Cor. 11:18ff), and we do not admit people into the church without baptizing them. Neither do we admit those who have been suspended from the sacraments or excommunicated to the table..
2. The person must be truly trusting in Jesus Christ alone for their salvation. They must also be able to profess their faith (1 Cor. 11:26).
3. The person must be capable of self-control in coming to the table (1 Cor. 11:21-22).
4. The person must be able to understand what the elements mean (1 Cor. 11:29). The elements should be more than an ordinary snack of bread and wine, rather the person should be capable of understanding that they represent the body and blood of the Lord and that they who partake of the Lord’s Supper in faith spiritually feed on Christ.
5. The person must be capable of self-examination (1 Cor. 11:28). They must be able to analyze themselves and make sure that they are repentant of their sin against God and against neighbor. One aspect of discerning the Lord’s body is making sure that one is in harmony and peace with their brothers in Christ.
If your child is coming of the age where they are professing faith in Christ and are interested in taking the Lord’s Supper, how do you know if they are ready? Pastor Joseph has recorded a video that will be helpful to parents as they wrestle with this question.
If you think your son or daughter is qualified to take the Lord’s supper and would like the elders to examine them, please let Pastor Joseph know and we will schedule a time.